9/30/13

Broke Bad

9/30/13
I started watching Breaking Bad in 2010, I think. I quickly got caught up and watched it every week since. I have to say it was my favorite show. Sad to see it go, but content it never went on long enough to get boring.

What I appreciated most, was the way Mr. White always got out of a bad situation. It was always plausible, cleverly done, and the show's execution of such escapes were flawless.

The show had its flaws and a few plot holes, but the way it was done made it difficult to notice.


[Minor Spoiler Alert]


That being said, I thought the ending could've been better. It was only mildly clever. A lot of White's plan depended on everything going just right with a good dose of luck. Sure enough, it did (although for a moment it looked like it could've gone south, which would have been another way to end the series--having Mr. White's luck run out). Compared to some of his other clever stunts on the show, his last trick seemed subpar. I mean, it's comparable to a deus ex machina: Hey look at this gadget I built that will save the day! I'm not a fan of deus ex machina--that's just bad writing.

Don't get me wrong, the ending was good, it just wasn't Breaking Bad good.

[End Spoiler Alert]


I guess the point of this post is that Breaking Bad is a good (arguably the best) show, go watch it; also check out The Wire.

5 comments:

CABE on September 30, 2013 at 8:30 AM said...

Definitely a fitting end to a great show.

Stan on September 30, 2013 at 12:38 PM said...

Yeah. I liked just about everything except for his trick that saves the day. It just didn't satisfy my itch for cleverness. Other than that small complaint, a very good ending.

There's only one other TV finale I can think of that comes close to this. And it is a Sons of Anarchy season 3 finale that wrapped every single loose end up very neatly, logically, and cleverly. SoA should have ended its series on that, because now it's nowhere near as good as it was.

Stan on September 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM said...

Actually, I think that SoA episode topped all other finales I've seen. But it doesn't count because they ruined the show with more complicated, implausible and uninteresting seasons.

Alice Gordon on September 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM said...

I still wish Breaking Bad ended with Walter in a new life (self-arranged thru his lawyer Saul) and we realize he is now Malcolm in the Middle's dad, Hal. Jesse getting away makes me wonder if he will turn up on Saul's spin-off.

Stan on September 30, 2013 at 9:30 PM said...

"Saul's spin-off."

I have very low expectations for such a spinoff; I just can't picture it.

Post a Comment


Shameless Promotion

Opinion Blog Directory
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Online Marketing
Add blog to our directory.
Blogging Fusion Blog Directory


 

DailyMud. Copyright 2010-2014 Some Rights Reserved.
Creative Commons License